Q & A – Parks Canada Union Leave with Pay as of August 1, 2018

Parks Canada union activists can now participate in Union activities without pay interruption

Cost Recovery Mechanism for Leave for Union Business

Having union leave without pay converted to a system whereby the Agency puts the member on union leave with pay and invoices the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC), the Union of National Employees (UNE) or the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees (UCTE) after the fact will ensure that members do not suffer cash flow problems as a result of participating in their Union. This problem has been exacerbated by the current payroll system. As such, the most recent agreement includes language that changes the process to an invoicing system. This process takes effect on August 1st, 2018.

Questions and Answers:

Q1: What types of union leave are covered by the new invoicing system (member goes on leave with pay and the Agency invoices the Union)?

A1: Article 13 of the Collective Agreement, specifically clause 13.15, provide additional details as to the specific union activities under which union leave will now be without pay interruption as follows:

  •  Clause 13.02 (Application for certification, representations and interventions)
  •  Clause 13.09 (Contract negotiation meetings)
  •  Clause 13.10 (Preparatory contract negotiation meetings)
  •  Clause 13.12 (Alliance meetings and conventions)
  •  Clause 13.13 (Representatives’ training courses)

IMPORTANT: As of August 1st, members attending PSAC events covered by any of the above clauses must no longer submit loss of salary via the Member Expense Portal. Only non-salary expenses are to be claimed for reimbursement.

Q2: How do I request Union Leave from the Agency under the new system?

A2: For applicable events starting August 1st, members will now receive a Union Authorization Letter from PSAC National Office or one of the Components (UNE, UCTE) that is hosting the event, authorizing their participation in the union activity for which a leave with pay is to be requested. The member will complete an application for leave form using code 641 along with the Union Authorization Letter to their delegated manager. The member will enter the following information in the comment box of the application for leave form:

  •  The name of the union event and event number;
  •  Union identifier code;
  •  The applicable clause of the collective agreement.

The application for leave and Union Authorization Letter will be routed to the member’s delegated manager for approval. The information contained in both the application for leave and the Union Authorization Letter will be used by the Agency to invoice the PSAC National Office or one of the Components (UNE, UCTE) for applicable loss of salary.

Q3: What types of Union Leave are not covered by this arrangement?

A3: Union leaves that are already listed as being union leave with pay are not covered by the arrangement nor is union leave without pay associated with grievances. Specifically leave covered under the following clauses will not be covered by this new process:

  •  Clause 13.03 (Employee called as a witness before the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations and Employment Board)
  •  Clause 13.04 (Employee representing PSAC before Arbitration Board hearings, Public Interest Commissions and Informal Conflict Management Process)
  •  Clause 13.05 (Employee called as a witness before the Arbitration Board, Public Interest Commissions and in an Informal Conflict Management Process)
  •  Clause 13.06 (Employee that is a party and/or a witness to an adjudication)
  •  Clause 13.07 and 13.08 (Grievances)
  •  Clause 13.11 (Meetings with management)

Note that the above clauses are unchanged in terms of reimbursement processes.

Q4: Does this change impact PSAC payment for days of rest for bargaining and bargaining conferences?

A4: This new process does not impact payment on a day of rest. Those continue to be paid out as per the Administrative guidelines on bargaining expenses.

For example: Regulation 15 – Article 2.6: Salary Entitlement – Bargaining Conferences and Negotiations
Team members who work and/or travel on a day of rest, shall be compensated at their straight-time rate up to the maximum number of hours prorated based on their average weekly hours.

Q5: I use vacation leave or compensatory leave to participate in PSAC activities. Do these changes affect me?

A5: Yes, members who take vacation or compensatory leave to attend union functions must now submit an approved leave form to substantiate the type of leave taken which requires loss of salary reimbursement. Leave forms should be scanned and submitted by email to Finance-info-Finance@psac-afpc.com, the claim ID (referenced on the confirmation email upon claim submission) should be referenced in the subject line of the email.

Q6: What if, at the last minute, I have to cancel my participation in an activity after requesting the leave from my employer?

A6: Illness or other unforeseen circumstances may prevent a member from attending a union event. Members who are unable to participate in part or all of the event are personally responsible for modifying their related leave request in their Leave Management System. The Leave Management System must reflect the actual union leave used by the member in order to ensure the accuracy of the loss of salary invoiced to Public Service Alliance of Canada. The leave recorded in the Leave Management System should only reflect the actual amount of leave required to attend the union event.